With over 2 billion downloads and an active user base of over 800 million, Douyin has paved its way as the next generation of social media. If Douyin didn’t already have enough shine in the spotlight, the COVID-19 pandemic along with home quarantining has taken the platform and entertainment to new levels. With its wide range of features and versatility, Douyin has become the go-to app for businesses looking to make a name in the Chinese market.
Just over a year ago, Douyin added a shopping cart function button to its list of features, which allowed users to make purchases straight from the app. Since then, Douyin has expanded its shopping capabilities. In December of last year Douyin expanded its offering to even more users by revealing that the e-commerce feature was able to expedite nearly $30 million in sales in only one day.
Getting familiar with Douyin
Under the umberalla of Bytedance, both Douyin and its international version, TikTok, have taken off in a big way for tech giant, which is now one of the most valuable privately held Chinese tech companies. However, Douyin has more advanced features than its international version, including a more detailed homepage, more advanced official accounts and sponsored challenges, livestreaming, e-commerce, and the ability to setup your own Douyin Store.
How does Douyin Store work?
Since its creation, Douyin has made setting up a store even easier for its users. To create a Douyin store, users simply just have to upload over 10 videos. Currently, there are two ways users can turn their video watching into an e-commerce shopping experience.
- Users can either click on the e-commerce link inside a video or once a video loops for a second time, a product banner will appear.
- The link will then take the user to a product introduction within the app.
- By clicking the “Buy now” button will take users to product on Taobao.
Douyin Store Advantages
Users can make purchases directly from the Douyin app due to its native e-commerce system. Your Douyin store can be linked to any of the apps that exist in the Bytedance ecosystem. Some of these apps include the news aggregator Toutiao, Huoshan Video, and Xigua Video. On top of that, users have the ability to stay with the Douyin app to make their purchase.
Taobao has become the common way to link to Douyin for making sells, but Douyin has expanded its e-commerce services to JD and Tmall. Now you can link your Douyin store to all 3 of these platforms to sell your products.
Getting setup with a Douyin Store
Luckily, setting up a Douyin store is a bit easier than other apps with the same function.
- First, you have to verify yourself or your business.
- Once verification is complete, you will need to go to “Share Merch” and apply for your Douyin store. It usually takes a few hours to get feedback on your application.
- Now, you can link your JD, Taobao, or Tmall store to Douyin and add products to your very own Douyin store.
- You can add your products on a video by doing so at the last step of the posting a video process.
- The rest of your products will be visible on your Douyin account profile.
Douyin Store mini programs
Mini programs were originally created by WeChat, but their popularity has expanded across many other platforms including Douyin. Bytedance allows merchants to sell to users directly through the use of mini programs. These mini programs allow for better product selections for users and gives them an all-in-one shopping experience. These mini programs can also be shared to users in many ways including via WeChat in the form of QR codes, but the one way that drives the most traffic would be through video links.
Video link sharing
- When a user opens a video, the mini program can be accessed by clicking on the link at the bottom left.
- At the top of the comment area is also a link that will take the user to a mini program.
- Douyin also makes the product searching process seamless by letting users search for specific products inside the app, which then leads to relevant mini programs.
What’s next for Douyin Store?
Douyin is on the tip of the iceberg when it comes to selling products and the many features and offerings that can be included on the platform. It wouldn’t surprise us if the next update to the Douyin store includes advanced product recommendations based on video and the addition of brand zones that give brands direct access to showcasing their products to followers.
By giving users a more direct and user-centric way to search for products, Douyin places itself on par with other Chinese e-commerce giants that have thrived in the e-commerce industry. Douyin has been one of China’s most talked about social platforms and it doesn’t appear that Douyin is going anywhere anytime soon, so setting up a Douyin store could be a great way to reach new customers for your business.